Oakland Athletics Pride Night 2015

My A's family

UPDATE ON 3/30/15:

Thank you all for supporting this effort. Since posting this, the response has been (unsurprisingly) overwhelmingly positive. Many have offered to donate their tickets for this effort, and others have offered to donate money to buy tickets. My boyfriend, Oakland A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle, has agreed to match any tickets I purchase. And we also started a GoFundMe account to collect donations to fill the stands at this game. You can donate here. Sean and I will match donations up to $3000. We will use the donations to buy tickets to the 6/17 Pride Night game and donate them to Our Space LGBTQI Community Center for teens and young adults. Thank you in advance for your generosity!

As some of you know, the Oakland Athletics will be hosting their first LGBT Pride Night on June 17.  Hopefully this will be the first of many such A’s events. You can purchase tickets here.

Many people don’t know this about me, but I have two moms. My biological mom Kathy and her partner Elise (who grew up in the Bay Area) are both die-hard A’s fans as well as super gay. Like, they’re so gay for each other that they’ve fostered a long-term loving relationship likely no different from any heterosexual loving relationships you’ve seen or been a part of.

My moms are transplant San Diegans living amongst all of the San Diego Padres fans. The team the Athletics will play (and beat) on Pride Night? The San Diego Padres. This night was made for them. In fact I’m starting to suspect that the Athletics focus-grouped this event idea with just my two moms and nobody else.

It couldn’t be any more perfectly tailored to my moms than if the team announced that NPR’s Terry Gross will also be throwing out the first pitch and there will be a free notepad giveaway on which my moms can write down all of the reasons I should have majored in something more practical in college.

Terry Gross

However, as soon as the Athletics announced the LGBT Pride Night event on social media, I was saddened to read some of the replies about their decision to have a night of inclusion for the LGBT community.

Many season ticket holders (certainly not all of them) indicated a desire to sell their tickets to that game so that they wouldn’t have to attend. So that gave me an idea. Here goes:

Dear season ticket holders who wish to sell their tickets for LGBT Pride Night,

Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs and as long as nobody is getting hurt, I’m happy. I also can’t stop you from selling your tickets. I won’t tell you that you are wrong or that you are not allowed to think or act that way.

We live in a free country, after all. You are free to think and say and do whatever you’d like. In fact just this morning I used my freedom to eat yogurt with a steak knife because I ran out of clean spoons (because SOMEone forgot to turn on the dishwasher last night). Who was going to stop me? That’s right. Nobody. Nice try bin Laden.

I ended up cutting the corner of my mouth on the knife, and it wasn’t one of my brightest decisions. But I may have just invented a DIY smile enhancement. And I will sue you if you steal my idea. #America

I digress. So, A’s fans; if attending a baseball game on LGBT Pride Night makes you at all uncomfortable, it is probably a good idea to sell your tickets. And I have the perfect buyer. ME!

If you’d like to sell your tickets to June 17th’s LGBT Pride Night game, I will buy them from you at face value. As many as I can. No judgments. No questions asked.

From there, I will donate any tickets I purchase to the Bay Area Youth Center’s Our Space community for LGBTQ youth.

That way you don’t have to feel uncomfortable, and the seats don’t go to waste. It’s win-win.

Please tweet at me (@EireannDolan) if you’d like to sell me your tickets. I’ll purchase as many unwanted tickets as I can out of my own pocket. I also encourage other A’s fans to do the same. Let’s fill the stands that night!

Eireann and my hella gay moms

153 thoughts on “Oakland Athletics Pride Night 2015

1. Marshall Hart says:

I’m really confused! You mean, you have two(02) Mothers and they did not raise you to be gay? How is that possible? Don’t all the haters say it is taught and learned and a distinct choice to be the way you are? Don’t get it.
    A very sweet thing you and your husband have done.

2. robj98168 says:

Eireann, thank you so much for your support. Even though I am not an A’s fan, (Seattle Mariners here) I think your support of LGBTQ is so cool. And hereis hoping the A’s do well, just not as well as the Mariners!!!

3. Pingback: Sean Doolittle and Girlfriend Eireann Dolan Buying Tickets to Fill Oakland A’s Stadium on LGBT Pride Night | News Today

4. Jim says:

All people regardless of sexual preference are sanctified and created by our higher power. Do not throw rocks in your glass house and do not judge as it is not in our power and be watchful when ” Karhma sets in.

5. Pingback: Baseball player’s girlfriend steps to the plate for LGBT Pride Night – GLBT News

6. Pingback: RELIGIOUS WRONG LOSING HATE CAMPAIGN… | Have Coffee Will Write

7. Thomas Dolan (aka. Dad) says:

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shine on you crazy diamonds…

Keep up the good work.

Love you both, Dad

8. Pingback: Weekend link dump for April 5 – Off the Kuff

9. Pingback: "Hella Gay Moms" Inspire Girlfriend of A's Pitcher to Fill Stadium on Pride - Mombian

10. Pingback: Pride Night with the Oakland A's to Benefit LGBTQ Youth - The Seattle Lesbian

11. Bob S says:

Eirann, I want to express my sincere gratification for what you and Sean are doing, it is so unbelievably great that here are not enough words to describe how beautiful it is, well I am a N.Y. Yankees fan but what you and Sean are doing transcends not only baseball, sports, but society and the world we live in, thanks for what you are doing.

12. Pingback: When one stadium announced LGBT Pride Night, angry fans sold their tickets. So she bought them all. | eltounsi

13. Pingback: Eireann Dolan & Sean Doolittle: The Coolest Couple in Baseball

14. Pingback: This baseball player and his girlfriend are supporting the LGBTQ community in the best possible way

15. Mar says:

THank you so much for what you did, I cannot explain how much something like this would mean for people like me to have this support!! its people like you who keep the train to equality running.❤ THANK YOU THANK YOU
    You are a lovely lovely human please don't stop being you!

16. Arron MCGill says:

thank you.
    And thank your wonderful mothers.
    And your amazing boyfriend.

Sometimes I forget there are good people out there.

17. Liz Dandrea says:

Right on !!! Your mommas raised you right….. No doubt, the seats will all sell out and I bet it will be the funniest game of the season, right??? Thank you for doing this, good heart and soul..this world needs more like you. xoxoxoxo

Liked by 1 person

18. Craig says:

Congrats on standing up for something you believe strongly in! Sticking up for something in said fashion, isn’t easy and many people instead, too often, remain silent (myself included).

Do you ever think there will be a day when there isn’t a need to have such appreciation days, bc society and human nature are on the same page, and people see no difference in someone that might be a different race or have a different sexual preference?

19. Dudette says:

Bravo Eireann Dolan! An absolutely, wonderfully, amazing gesture on your part! The positive responses you are getting shows that so many people support you and LGTBs! Those loud and negative “fans” out there are outnumbered immensely and you’re there to prove it! Good job! (and this is coming from a Giants fan! I’m NOT anti-A’s, just a bigger Giants fan. I still support all Bay Area teams🙂

20. Claudia Weaver says:

Eireann, you and Sean are wonderful. I am a diehard Giants fan, but I think the two of you put a beautiful face on Bay Area baseball.

21. Pingback: Oakland A’s Pitcher Offers To Buy Tickets From Fans Who Object To LGBT Night | Joe.My.God.

22. From Cape Cod, MA, thanks Eireann and Sean for getting this creative and important campaign going. I even just wrote a song about you which I hope you hear one day (I also tried to send some money on GoFund but it’s not working and they asked to have you check on it). Go A’s (from a lifelong White Sox fan)!

23. Pingback: For Erica Scherzer, supporting Nationals ‘Night Out’ event for LGBT fans is ‘no-brainer’ - The Washington Post

• T$ says:

It’s one night after “I’m too ignorant to spell ‘pedophile’ correctly” night, and I assume you will be attending that one. You know, because even with spell check, you’re still too stupid to spell the word correctly. But troll on, keyboard commando.

24. Pingback: Fans Pissed With Stadium That Announced LGBT Pride Night: Woman Offers to Buy ALL Their Tickets AnonHQ

25. Pingback: Fans Pissed With Stadium That Announced LGBT Pride Night: Woman Offers to Buy ALL Their Tickets - GaryGermanCH.Com - Network Marketing, Internet Marketing ...

26. Pingback: LGBT Nights at the Ballpark « The Baseball Sociologist